If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (323) 545-6115

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How to Claim Insurance for Water Damage

2/26/2018 (Permalink)

Call SERVPRO of Hancock Park/Hollywood at 323-545-6115, a restoration company you can trust!

Flooding and water damage are not things that most home owners ever expect to face. However, when it happens, you will probably be at a loss for how to deal with it, especially when it comes to insurance.

Should the unthinkable happen, the following will help walk you through to file a claim:

    • Review Your Coverage
      Review all of your insurance documentation. Locate the contact number for your insurance company’s claims office. If you cannot find it on the paperwork, then it should be on their website. When you call, have your policy in front of you for reference.
    • Be Calm
      Make sure you are not emotional before you call. You need to be able to talk to the adjuster (the insurance representative who will discuss the details with you) in a way that is clear and concise. You won’t be able to do that if you are obviously upset.
    • Keep Your Details Short
      Just give the adjuster the facts. Unless they ask for details, keep it as short as possible, giving them only the information they need to properly understand the situation. There are rules and regulations that govern insurance coverage, so you don’t need to try to persuade the adjuster over the phone.
    • Have Proof
      Pictures of your dishwasher overflowing or flooding around a door are definitely proof that can be used to help make your case. Receipt from a plumber or information from the city or county about the cause of the damage will also be very helpful in getting the claim processed.
    • Mitigation
      If you need to mitigate the damage (stop it from getting worse), the insurance company may make a recommendation for a company. It is ONLY a recommendation, so you can contact another restoration company if you prefer.

Other News

View Recent Posts