Fire Damage Prevention
Fires can start unexpectedly, but taking precautionary measures can decrease the risks of a fire on your property. Some of the most common causes of fires include; cooking, candles, heating equipment, fire places, electrical appliances, smoking, flammable liquids, Christmas trees, etc. to name a few. The number one leading causes of fires are related to cooking. Following is a list of some helpful tips that may assist in the prevention of fires on your property;
- Never leave a stove top in use unattended
- Use a cooking timer
- Keep any & all kitchen surfaces (including ceiling) free from grease build up
- Place heaters at a safe distance away from flammable materials & disconnect when not in use
- Avoid plugging in too many electrical appliances into one extension cord
- Keep candles away from curtains, decorations and other combustibles, and make sure candle holders are stable or simply use battery operated candles
- If possible, smoke outside. If you smoke inside, avoid doing so when tired/sleepy, and use large and deep ashtrays
- Keep flammable liquids in approved containers and away from electrical and heat sources. If possible, store them outside in a well-ventilated area.
- Use decorative lights that have been inspected by an independent testing laboratory. In addition, replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections
- Install smoke alarms
- Install carbon monoxide detectors
- Install a fire sprinkler system
- Install a fire extinguisher
We urge you to take all of these tips into consideration in order to prevent fires on your property. For professional fire and restoration services, please contact SERVPRO of Hollywood Hills 323-545-6115 or visit our website http://www.SERVPROhancockparkhollywood.com/.