Information on Mold
First off, mold is not always harmful and is generally non-toxic. This said, when mold is left unchecked to grow in your home it can become harmful in large amounts.
Mold actually exists in most homes already, but in microscopic amounts in spores. When your home experiences issues such as leaks or floods this is when mold can grow into problematic proportions. The reason for this is that mold spores grow in high humidity environments, meaning if there are moist materials in the walls of your home for example, that is prime real estate for mold to take hold.
Tips you can use yourself to prevent mold growth:
- make sure your home's roof is sufficiently protected from rain
- make sure to fix any leaks in your home
- make sure your appliances are not malfunctioning